I had an operation to correct a protruding jaw, now my teeth are causing me huge problems. Help?

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry

In brief: Talk to your dentist

Not enough details to say, but if you had corrective jaw surgery, i suspect that you have an orthodontist, an oral surgeon, and a general dentist as a team by your side.
Your treatment may still be in progress, but be sure that you talk to one/all and let them know your concerns.

In brief: Talk to your dentist

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Get opinion

Depending upon what the "problems" are, they may or may not be at all related to the fact that you had jaw surgery.
It is important that you return to your dentist and oral surgeon to investigate the cause and possible solutions of your "problems.".

In brief: Get opinion

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Check w team

In addition to oral surgeon the team treating you should have included an orthodontist, a restorative dentist, and if necessary a periodontist.
Just fixing jaws doesn't solve all problems. You need a team approach, coordinated by your restorative dentist. Consult wit him asap.

In brief: Check w team

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Majid Jamali
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Problems

What are the problems.

In brief: Problems

What are the problems.
Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Need consult

If not done properly such surgery can cause dental problems.
You need to consult with an oral or maxillofacial surgeon do determine what has happened and how to fix this.

In brief: Need consult

Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
2 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
Orthognathic surgery is a team therapy. The orthodontist predetermines tooth position to coincide with the surgeons expressed desire to move bony elements of occlusion. I would not assume it is an oral surgery error here, as no information is supplied. The GP, ortho and MF surgeon will have had ample time to facilitate the proper elements of pre and post surgical occlusion. The questioner is lacking in specificity of problems. Speak up!
Dr. Arnold Malerman
I concur with Dr. Schleimer's comment. This is a team problem. Consult with each of the team members. Your GP should be quarterbacking your treatment, so start there.
Dr. Marsha Davis