What are possible side effects of treatments for thyroid cancer?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Surgery or I 131

Thyroid cancer is usually treated with surgery then radioactive iodine.
Complications of surgery are uncommon but include risks of infection, bleeding, hoarseness, and low calcium . Complications from iodine therapy are also rare and include dry mouth, aches and pains, and others. All these problems are relatively uncommon: discuss with your md's.

In brief: Surgery or I 131

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
2 comments
Dr. Paul Cohen
Agree...contact/discuss with an endocrinologist for further information(if i have one in my "network"...and i should...i'll 'retap' this for his/her input.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Agree with above. Good, succint summary.
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Mostly surgical

Depending on the surgery required (whether lymph node dissection is indicated) - there are several surgical complications that may occur: injury to the recurrent nerve - hoarseness; injury to the parathyroids - need to take calcium and vit d.
Node dissections have more complications. Find an experienced surgeon to decrease these risks. You will also need to take thyroid hormone forever.

In brief: Mostly surgical

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr