What substances interfere with the results of 24 hour urine tests?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: For what?
What is your doctor testing with the 24 hr collection of urine? Creatinine clearance, cortisol, calcium, cathecolamines, protein, cortisol or steroids? Depending upon the answer there are some medications or drugs that may interfere specifically.

In brief: For what?
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. John Hammes
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Depends on test
Is 24h urine for protein? - I am not aware of interference on this.
For 24h urine for creatinine, drugs which block renal tubular secretion of creatinine (trimethoprim, cimetidine, others) will reduce 24h creatinine excretion and thus change measurement of kidney function.

In brief: Depends on test
Dr. John Hammes
Dr. John Hammes
Dr. Arnon Rubin