Is it safe to take Periostat (doxycycline) for gum disease?

Of course. Periostat (doxycycline) tablets are used to treat advanced gum disease and it is approved by FDA. Ask your dentist for more information.
Yes. Unless you are allergic to the tetracyclines of course.
Yes. If you are allergic to tetracycline, or doxycycline, then you should probably avoid it. The dose is subtherapeutic so it isn't meant to kill bacteria, but slow the breakdown of the gum tissue by interfering with its metabolism.
Yes. Yes, Periostat is specifically designed for gum disease. This is a low dose doxycycline for 3 months which has proven to help reduce pocket depths after scalings to improve periodontal health.
Yes if not allergic. It is safe to take Periostat (doxycycline) for gum disease if you are not allergic to it. However, Periostat (doxycycline) alone won't control gum disease. Please seek the help of a dentist or a periodontist.
Yes. But. We generally do not prescribe any long term antibiotics. Generally, we prefer to use laser treatment to kill off the "bad bacteria" that cause gum disease.