What are the possible treatments for pheochromocytoma and metastatic pheochromocytoma?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Many
A single area of pheochromocytoma can be removed surgically.
Metastatic pheochromocytoma does not respond well to chemotherapy. Oral "targeted" therapies (one called sunitinib) are more effective. Some metastatic pheochromocytomas can be treated with a targeted injected form of radiation if the tumor expresses the target. Clinical trials are a good option for this tumor: www.Cancer.Gov.

In brief: Many
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
In brief: Surgery
For a unilateral pheo, removal is preferred.
Bilateral is unusual. Malignancy is a problem. Metastatic malignancy is more of a problem and requires oncology help. There are some suppressive drugs. I have a patient several years out and stable. Be aggressive in getting the diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: Surgery
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine