Is pheochromocytoma inherited or spontaneous?

Kinda both... Pheochromocytoma(or a fancy way to say an adrenal tumor) may follow a genetic predisposition in some patients; but in others may be random...Or 'spontaneous' as you phrase it.
In part yes/ no. About 24% of cases of pheochromocytoma are associated with familial syndromes such as MEN 2a and 2b, neurofibromatosis type 1, and von Hippel-Lindau syndrome. [6] the annual incidence in the US is 3 to 8 cases per million (very rare).
Both. Some of these tumors occur as a result of an inherited syndrome, whereas others are thought to be spontaneous. Syndromes associated with these tumors include von hippel lindau, men, and the hereditary pheochromocytoma-paraganglioma syndromes.
Pheochromocytoma. 26 F from Palo Alto asks if pheo is inherited or spontaneous. I specialize in this and happy to do 2nd opinion to help you and team get the best of care. Some are inherited but most are not. It is a deadly disease so be certain you are seeing an expert. I can recommend Stanford.