Is pheochromocytoma inherited or spontaneous?

Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Kinda both...
Pheochromocytoma(or a fancy way to say an adrenal tumor) may follow a genetic predisposition in some patients; but in others may be random..
.Or 'spontaneous' as you phrase it.

In brief: Kinda both...
.Or 'spontaneous' as you phrase it.
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: In part yes/ no
About 24% of cases of pheochromocytoma are associated with familial syndromes such as MEN 2a and 2b, neurofibromatosis type 1, and von Hippel-Lindau syndrome.
[6] the annual incidence in the US is 3 to 8 cases per million (very rare).

In brief: In part yes/ no
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
In brief: Both
Some of these tumors occur as a result of an inherited syndrome, whereas others are thought to be spontaneous.
Syndromes associated with these tumors include von hippel lindau, men, and the hereditary pheochromocytoma-paraganglioma syndromes.

In brief: Both
Dr. Sean Williamson
Dr. Sean Williamson
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Pheochromocytoma
26 F from Palo Alto asks if pheo is inherited or spontaneous.
I specialize in this and happy to do 2nd opinion to help you and team get the best of care. Some are inherited but most are not. It is a deadly disease so be certain you are seeing an expert. I can recommend Stanford.

In brief: Pheochromocytoma
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim