I have many of the symptoms of pheochromocytoma. Does this mean that I have it? 

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Get tested

If you have many symptoms of pheochromocytoma, you should see your doctor to get it tested.
The workup is complicated but it usually starts with 24 urine test and/or blood test. These tests are very good and if they come back normal (despite you still having symptoms), then it's unlikely that you have pheochromocytoma and it's time to look at other possible causes.

In brief: Get tested

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Richard Orr
Pheo symptoms are common, but the disease itself is rare. It is relativelly easy to do some screening test - so go to your doctor and ask.
Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Possibly

The symptoms of pheochromocytoma can tell us there is too much adrenaline effect, but not whether there is actually too much adrenaline or if the cause is an adrenaline-secreting tumor (pheochromocytoma).
Other possibilities include hyperthyroidism, low blood sugar, skipping meals, too much caffeine or nicotine, lack of sleep, stress, or panic attacks. Ask your doctor to check this out.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Pheo Sx

31 asks I have many of the symptoms of pheochromocytoma.
Does that mean I have it. In my 50 years of looking for Pheos I have found that symptoms are VERY common in those with HTN but Pheo is VERY rate. So best to get urine tested. Only way to tell. Clues include family Hx of pheo or Cafe-au-lait spots or neruofibromatosis. Get urine test.

In brief: Pheo Sx

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine