Hi, I had spinal fusion surgery in March 2013. I am know having pain again in my lower back and down my legs. My doctor says I have FBSS. Is this true?

Dr. Robert McMurtrie
Pain Management

In brief: Surgery not a fix

Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) is a convenient term. Unfortunately, return of pain or new pain after spine surgery is common.
As an anesthesiologist, I do not feel that spine surgery is a fix yet. Knee or hip replacement is a fix. Cataracts surgery is a fix. Heart bypass is a fix. Organ transplant is a fix. Spine surgery is only an intricate adjustment but not a fix. So sorry.

In brief: Surgery not a fix

Dr. Eric Weisman