How much salt per liter of water for nasal lavage (nasal irrigation)?

1/4 tsp per cup. Usually 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for 8 ounces will do. Nasal lavage can be helpful for chronic sinus congestion, and I often recommend it. However, some studies suggest a risk of infection if neti pot or bottle not kept clean or use of contaminated tap water, or even injury to nasal tissue. So be cautious.

Related Questions

Is snorting salt water an effective method of nasal irrigation?

It depends... Saline irrigation can be helpful for soothing nasal passages and removing excess mucus. Lukewarm, purified water with proper ph balance using non-iodized salt with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are important aspects of a good nasal saline rinse.

Did nasal irrigation (like neti pot) in feb. And water got stuck in my ears. Water is gone but ear pressure remains that was not present before. Why?

Probable Eustachian. Either the saline irritated the eustachian tube or some of the irrigant got into the middle ear. It is not clear how long it may take to clear but in children may take 3months. The sensation may also be from the illness that started the process in the first place.

Had the flu 1st week in jan. Did nasal irrigation 2nd week in feb. & water got stuck in ears. Still feeling sinus pain in nose and ear pressure.?

Persisting SInus Sxs. Most cold/flu episodes are treated symptomatically with decongestants, cough meds, tylenol, (acetaminophen) etc. Since they are usually caused by viruses not responding to antibiotics. However, if you are experiencing increased sinus and ear symptoms more than two weeks after the infection began, you may have developed a secondary bacterial infection needing antibiotics. See your pmd.

Can anti-histamine + nasal irrigation + Cromolyn Sodium spray help reduce chronic nasal turbinate, nasopharynx inflammation & mucus membrane swelling?

Unlikely. They can reduce discharge, sneezing, but not congestion or inflammation, you will need anti-inflammatory medications as steroid nasal sprays, but better be directed by an ENT specialist or an Allergist/Immunologist if you have access to one, best wishes.