I drink a lot of fruit & vegetable smoothies - 1 daily- during pregnant for added nutrients. Do I risk possibility of gest diabetes? Should I worry?

Dr. Khayriyyah Chandler

In brief: No not necessarily

Added sugar is the problem. 1 mixed veggie and fruit smoothie is okay.
Add protein like peanut butter or hemp powder and fiber like flaxseed to balance out the carb content.

In brief: No not necessarily

Dr. Khayriyyah Chandler
Dr. Khayriyyah Chandler
Dr. Christina Adberg

In brief: Maybe?

Gestational diabetes has many factors, including genetics, your weight before pregnancy, your diet, etc.
Smoothies can contain a lot of carbs which will raise your blood sugar temporarily, and in pregnancy, that may cause elevated Insulin levels and possibly excess fetal growth. In general, it's better to eat your food then to drink it, and consume protein with your carbs to control blood sugar.

In brief: Maybe?

Dr. Christina Adberg
Dr. Christina Adberg
Dr. Jane Van Dis