I'm torn between family medicine and general surgery. Which should I choose?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Look Closer

Not sure where you are in your education, but this decision should come pretty easily to you if you spend time w/both specialties since they are quite different (each w/ their pro's & con's).
Word to the wise: follow your passion--it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

In brief: Look Closer

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery

In brief: Surgery

I am biased , but general surgery is way more fun!

In brief: Surgery

Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Peter Than
Surgery

In brief: Depends on your need

Depends on what you need.
If you don't already have a primary care physician, it's probably best to find a family doctor. They'd get to know you over a long period of time and if a surgical condition arose be able to refer you to a surgeon.

In brief: Depends on your need

Depends on what you need.
Dr. Peter Than
Dr. Peter Than
Dr. Julia Stanford
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Family medicine!

I love the variety of family medicine and you can still do some minor in office procedures.
I also think the lifestyle can be nicer. You have some continuity in surgery, but you will have a lot more in fp.

In brief: Family medicine!

Dr. Julia Stanford
Dr. Julia Stanford
Dr. Kevin Hiler
Surgery

In brief: Go with your gut

Family medicine deals with lots of chronic issues which often have no clear resolution.
General surgery focuses on short term problems with a clearer endpoint. If you like process then family medicine is the route for you, if you value clear cut end points then surgery will take you there. Both are great places to go and very rewarding.

In brief: Go with your gut

Dr. Kevin Hiler
Dr. Kevin Hiler
Dr. George T Tsai
Go to national GS/Fm meetings to see docs at various stages of their careers. Really can't go wrong with either. Both are considered front line workers in medicine
Dr. Thomas Heston

In brief: Check your skills

Choose what you are best at doing, that will give you the greatest satisfaction.

In brief: Check your skills

Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Michael Sinclair

In brief: Law School

Managed care has made the practice of medicine much less pleasant.
If you still want to be a doctor, ask yourself which is more important to you, your time at work or time not at work. If you like to work a lot, and time away is less important than any medical specialty will probably be ok. If you want to have a life outside of work, pick something with less call and less emergencies. Good luck!

In brief: Law School

Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Ly Phan
Surgery

In brief: Gen surgery

If you enjoy hand on approach, and want to see the immediate fruit of your labor, the surgery is where you belong.

In brief: Gen surgery

Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery