I was denied gastric banding but have been offered the balloon. What do you think?

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics
In brief: Balloon temporary
The intragastric balloon is not approved in us.
Can see temporary weight loss and used in some cases to lose initial weight to make final weight loss surgery simpler. Can always seek another surgical opinion.

In brief: Balloon temporary
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
In brief: Prob bad idea
I'm not sure what procedure the ballon is other than the intra-gastric ballon.
This is still considered experimental and i'm surprised your insurance will actually cover this procedure.It is a temporary fix as the ballon should not be left in place longer than 3-6 months.Stick with tried and approved procedures such as the band, bypass, sleeve or duodenal switch.Insurance will usually cover these.

In brief: Prob bad idea
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Depending on your Body Mass Index, the gastric band may not be the best choice for you; I agree with Dr. St. Laurent that you should consider a gastric bypass, gastric sleeve resection, or duodenal switch.
In brief: Experimental
Your bmi did not qualify.
The balloon is experimental.

In brief: Experimental
Your bmi did not qualify.
The balloon is experimental.
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery