Would a family history of colon cancer make me more likely to get anal and oral cancer also?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: No

Anal cancer is distinct from colo-rectal cancer as it arises from different cell type - squamous cell.
There is no diffinitive increased risk of anal or oral cancer in those with a family history of colo-rectal cancer.

In brief: No

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: No

No studies I know of suggest this correlation.

In brief: No

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Rectal yes

Family history of colon cancer especially in first degree relatives does increase your risk for colo-rectal-anal cancer.
I don't believe there is an increased risk for oral cancer.

In brief: Rectal yes

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: NO

Anal and oral cancer share one risk factor in common: the human papilloma virus (hpv).
A family history of colon cancer does increase the risk of colon cancer. Remember to get your colonoscopy.

In brief: NO

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Peter Kurzweil