Can sciatica pain be intermittent? Does lower back pain need to be present for sciatica pain?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Yes and No

Sciatica pain can definitely be intermittent because it depends on how much the disc is irritating the nerve as it may only do so in specific positions like when you bend at the waist or twist your spine.
Back pain does not necessarily need to be present to have sciatica pain.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Hal Blatman
Pain Management

Any pain can be intermittent if the problem is intermittent.
Sciatica usually refers to low back pain and pain down the leg. I believe it is over diagnosed, and the diagnosis of myofascial pain is missed. You more likely have an injury to muscles and fascia of your butt and thigh. The radiating pain changes with fascia tension, knots in your butt muscle, and food. www.blatmanhealthandwellness.com

Dr. Eric Weisman