Epicanthal folds - toddler - medical genetics?

Dr. Robin Larabee

In brief: Maybe

Epicanthal folds are normal in asian races.
Outside of asia, epicanthal folds can be part of down syndrome or other syndromes. Epicanthal folds alone may not be reason for a medical genetics referral. If other anomalies are present (low set ears, joint/bone disorders, low iq, webbed nec), then referral is certainly warranted.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Robin Larabee
Dr. Robin Larabee

In brief: Not necessarily

A small degree of epicanthal folds are common in early infancy and toddlerhood.
At the face matures, the midface grows forward & the folds disappear. By school age it is usually faded. When this is the only finding in a kid I ignore it.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Shontae Buffington