Can you tell me how is surgery on the spine in your neck done?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Varies

There are numerous types of spinal surgery performed on the neck.
Probably the most common is known as an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. In this surgery, an about 3 cm incision is made on the front of the neck. The disc is removed and often replaced with a plug or cage. In the right candidate, it can be very successful. I would discuss the specifics of your case with your surgeon.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Leland Berkwits
Pain Management

In brief: Cervical fusion

Cervical fusion can be approached from the front or the back of the neck, depending on the nature of the problem. The approach through the front is called an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion; a metal plate is used to bridge the vertebrae.
The approach from the back of the neck involves removing the lamina and placing screws into the vertebrae then linking the screws with rods.

In brief: Cervical fusion

Dr. Leland Berkwits
Dr. Leland Berkwits
Dr. Jack Hinkle