What muscle is removed during a radical mastectomy?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Pectoralis muscles

Actually, this question should read "was", not "is", since we never perform radical mastectomies any more (nor have we for 30+ yrs); removing the muscles never helps treat the cancer. The most common mastectomy for breast cancer treatment is called a modified radical mastectomy.
This means that the breast and armpit lymph nodes are removed without any muscle removal.

In brief: Pectoralis muscles

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Pectoralis but...

The pectoralis major muscle is removed with a radical mastectomy.
A modified radical mastectomy (mrm) is the standard of care and does not remove the muscle, only the breast and the lymph nodes. These days removing the muscle is rarely done. I recommend getting a second opinion at a breast center for evaluation and recommendations.

In brief: Pectoralis but...

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery