Does allopurinol for gout have affect cardiac disease or cardiac medications?

Dr. Angus Worthing

In brief: Possibly

Agree with dr. Namey that the affect of Allopurinol on heart is still uncertain.
One study showed improvement in patients hospitalized with congestive heart failure. Also, re drug-drug interaction, Allopurinol can interact with warfarin (coumadin) to increase bleeding risk.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Maybe

Colchicine, according to a recent report, this week, suggests it reduces cardiovascular mortatility in people with gout.
I suspect, but there are no studies, that chronically reducing urate levels with Allopurinol would do the same. However, it is important to take cochicine with Allopurinol initially together to prevent a paradoxic gout attack. Anything that reduces inflammation is good for heart.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Peter Kurzweil