What is brac analysis for breast cancer?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Genetic blood test.

As many as 10-15% of breast cancers in the US are believed to be hereditary.
These are linked to mutations of a particular group of genes called the BRCA genes. There is a simple blood test to check to see if someone has a BRCA mutation. I advise my interested patients to see a genetic counselor to fully understand the ramifications of this test before having it done.

In brief: Genetic blood test.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Sean Canale
Actually, the genetic sample can now be obtained through a mouth rinse without the need to draw blood. Yes, one should understand the repercussions of positive and negative results and know what they might choose to do in either case before testing is sent. Also, ideally, testing should start with an affected individual first (if one is willing and available).
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: See other answer

Actually, the genetic sample can now be obtained through a mouth rinse without the need to draw blood.
Yes, one should understand the repercussions of positive and negative results and know what they might choose to do in either case before testing is sent. Also, ideally, testing should start with an affected individual first (if one is willing and available).

In brief: See other answer

Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Genetic Testing

Brca testing screens women who are at high risk for hereditary breast cancer. Having mutations in these genes increases your risk of breast cancer dramatically.
Patients that are positive for the mutation are advised to undergo prophylactic mastectomies and to have both of their ovaries removed after their families are complete.

In brief: Genetic Testing

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Vicken Poochikian