What to do if I use fluorouracil cream(cancer drug) to treat a rash..will I get cancer because of that?

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: No

Efudex (fluorouracil) cream is a cutaneous method of applying 5 FU ( a chemotherapeutic agent) to cutaneous basal cell and some cutaneous squamous cell Ca's .
.It is applied daily x 10 followed by an application of A&D ointment to the same area that has become inflamed. In many cases the skin tumor will completely regress. Sometimes a repeat treatment needed. Should not be used for rashes. Does not cause Ca.

In brief: No

Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Myron Arlen