Actiq good for breakthrough pain?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Yes, but....
It is only indicated (fda approved) for breakthrough cancer pain.
Most insurance companies will not pay for it for non-cancer pain. Newer formulations of the same basic drug work faster and seem to be better tolerated (subsys, fentora).

In brief: Yes, but....
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
In my practice, I have prescribed Actiq for breakthrough pain, with good to excellent results.
This is assuming the patient is currently receiving some around the clock pain medication treatment, such as the fentanyl patch. In cancer related pain, breakthrough pain occurs in approximately 75% of patients. There are other fentanyl preparations that work well, too.

Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg