What are the risks with herceptin (trastuzumab) therapy?

Heart failure. About 4% of women treated with Herceptin (trastuzumab) develop some weakness in their heart as measured by a muga test. This decrease in heart function is reversible when the drug is stopped. Other side effects of Herceptin (trastuzumab) can include allergic reaction, fatigue, headache and diarrhea. Most of my patients have no side effects!
Herceptin (trastuzumab) Herceptin (trastuzumab) is an imp drug for breast cancer therapy. It can cause infusion reaction, affect blood counts, mild nausea, most important risk is a decline in heart function called cardiomyopathy. This is rare though about 5-6% risk and usually is reversible but cardiac function will need to be monitored during Herceptin (trastuzumab) therapy by serial ultrasounds (or echocardiograms).