Spots on my chest and neck it's like a light brown color?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Tinea versicolor
This is most consistent with tinea versicolor (not tinea corporis or "ringworm") which is caused by a yeast species called malassezia.
It starts in the scalp (where it is invisible), then spreads to neck, chest, & back. Treatment is an antifungal shampoo (nizoral, loprox, & others) + an antifungal cream (loprox, naftin, (naftifine) many others). Selsun blue does not work, despite what many web sites say.

In brief: Tinea versicolor
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. John Hanna
Thanks for the information! I was taught that in residency many years ago and have propagated that misinformation. I use the Nizoral shampoo and then tell then to continue with the Selsun product to prevent recurrance. But thanks for the help!
Dr. John Hanna
In brief: Tinea corporis
The is a skin infection that can cause both light and dark patches on the skin.
Non- resaised and not the usual raised lesons with central clearing that people know as "ringworm". These spot are usually of the chest and back, commonly the same areas that are stained with sweat when working out. This is fungus that can be treated with non perscriptions anti fungal creams and head and shoulders.

In brief: Tinea corporis
Dr. John Hanna
Dr. John Hanna
Dr. Joseph Eastern
I think you've confused tinea corporis (which is typically red) with tinea versicolor.