How can I tell if my 2mth old has reflux and requires medicine? He spits up sometimes but is gaining weight. He makes swallowing sounds hrs after feed

In brief: Happy vs sad

I classify these kids as happy spitters or sad.
All babies reflux, and it worsens as they age,peaking around 4 mo and diminishing when they start sitting. If they look and act sick, a trial and or use of meds is worth the effort.If they are happy, just monitor.

In brief: Happy vs sad

Dr. Danny Westmoreland

In brief: Wt gain

Weight is the largest indicator of severeness of the problem. Aspiration is the immediate danger. If your child is thriving well, i would work on feeding method like burping times, volumes between breaks and the equipment used.
Next would be evaluate the food stuff itself.

In brief: Wt gain

Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology