Is it safe to take Xanax (alprazolam) while pregnant?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) in pregnancy

I would not recommend Benzodiazepines especially in the first trimester.

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: No

Xanax (alprazolam) falls under fda pregnancy category d.
You should avoid use of xanax (alprazolam) if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Xanax (alprazolam) may also cause addiction or withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy.

In brief: No

Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: No

Xanax (alprazolam) belongs to the fda pregnancy category c, which means there has been positive evidence of human fetal risk.
In certain situations, especially if life-treatening, it might be necessary to put maternal benefit and safety first.

In brief: No

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Allison Urrutia

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) and pregnancy

The best answer is if you can be on as little or no medication as possible during pregnancy.
Xanax (alprazolam) is a class d drug for pregnancy, which means studies have shown harmful affects to fetus. However, maternal benefit may outweigh risk to fetus. It is important to speak with your psychiatrist and ob/gyn.

Dr. Allison Urrutia
Dr. Allison Urrutia
Dr. Danny Westmoreland

In brief: No

I understand need to treat the individual.
The baby is an innocent victim. My pt would be weaned and off to protect the baby.

In brief: No

Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Eric Weisman