What to do if I'm 40 yrs old and I'm freaking out thinking I may have breast cancer. how bad is it if I have to have an ultrasound-guided breast biopsy?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: The ultrasound

guided biopsy is the simplest way to get a definitive diagnosis.
Since approximately 80% turn out benign, it avoids unnecessary surgery.

In brief: The ultrasound

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: Still likely benign

The vast majority of lesions (80-85%) recommended for biopsy still end up with a benign diagnosis.
Features on imaging can often provide suggestions that may further refine this estimate. While most all cystic lesions are benign, even solid lesions favor benign as well with the most common benign solid lesion in a premenopausal patient being a fibroadenoma. Ultimate answer if from pathology.

In brief: Still likely benign

Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Don't worry!

First, an ultrasound-guided biopsy isn't that bad in terms of pain or discomfort.
The radiologist will numb the area with lidocaine. Tell him or her if you feel ANYTHING. And most biopsies turn out to be benign. Of course you're freaking out, but try not to. Wait until you have something to freak out about. Which you probably won't! And if it's cancer, you will be able to deal with it. I promise.

In brief: Don't worry!

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery