How long should it take fire a genetic blood test to come back? I have been waiting 6 weeks.

Dr. Scott McLean
Clinical Genetics

In brief: It depends

The "turn around time" for a genetic test result depends on the test, the lab, where you live, the weather, and the system through which the specimen and the results will flow.
Some simple tests, like the 23-mutation cystic fibrosis screen, take a day or two; some very complicated tests, like massively parallel whole genome sequencing, can take months. Ask your genetic counselor to check for you.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Pam Yoder
Thanks, Dr. McLean.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Need A frm Gen, Path

I don't want you to wait any longer for an answer so I am referring this to our genetics doctors and pathology/lab directors on ht.
The answer will depend on the type of test and specimen, but they can give guidelines. Thanks for your important question. @drpam.

In brief: Need A frm Gen, Path

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Arnon Rubin