I'm a very anxious person. Had panic disorder. Could the reason of anxiety be mitral valve prolapse? Could it get better with medication?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Anxiety treatment

Anxiety and panic can easily go together, and some have also noted that mitral valve prolapse (mvp) and panic disorder can happen in the same patient.
But that doesn't mean that mvp causes the panic. In most people, mvp causes no symptoms or physiological problems. Regardless, medications like ssri's can treat the anxiety & panic, along with psychotherapy. See your doctor for evaluation & help.

In brief: Anxiety treatment

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Absolutely

Anxiety is very common.
Stress, medical conditions are common triggers for anxiety. Lots of treatment available (medical, psychological, spiritual, etc) talk to your doctor.

In brief: Absolutely

Anxiety is very common.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton

In brief: Probably not

Mitral valve prolapse does not cause anxiety.
There are several antidepressant medication that are fda approved for anxiety/panic disorders. These can be very effective. You should discuss options with you physician. I have found zoloft (sertraline) to be particularly beneficial in panic disorder.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology