What is the difference between allegra (fexofenadine) and Flonase for allergy relief -take one or both?

Dr. John Klimas
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Flonase better

Allegra is an atihistamine and is helpful for itchiness, sneezing and a runny nose, not helpful for congestion.
Flonase, an intranasal steroid covers all these symptoms plus congestion. Head to head studies comparing Flonase to antihistamines, singulair, (montelukast) or sudafed showed that Flonase beat them all. I usually suggest daily Flonase and adding an antihistamine on as needed or supplemental basis.

In brief: Flonase better

Dr. John Klimas
Dr. John Klimas
Dr. Robert Ramirez
Nasal steroids should always be no. 1 for the reasons above. Everything else could be considered a "back up" for the nasal steroid.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela