I had a brace 5 years ago and my teeth moved because I didn't the retainer long enough. If I had another brace how long would I wear it for?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends on need

Depends on severity of the problem. Sometimes side and back teeth drift forward as from teeth relapse, making re-correction more complex and/or less stable.
You will have to see an Orthodontic Specialist for advice. you can't be diagnosed over the computer. Don't wait...the longer you delay the harder the fix.

In brief: Depends on need

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry

In brief: It Depends

We can not guess over the internet You need to get a new consultation with an orthodontist, most treatments are between 18 month to 3 years, some may take longer, in your case it may take less.

In brief: It Depends

Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: See orthodontist

Sometimes a re-treatment with braces may be necessary.
A variety of re-treatments are available for your condition. However, consulting with your orthodontist is the best way to achieve your treatment goals. Orthodontists are trained three years longer than a general dentist. and they can guesstimate the longevity of the re-treatment.. Good luck.

In brief: See orthodontist

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
2 comments
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Your orthodontist may be able to reverse your relapse rather quickly with braces or possibly another type of appliance .
Dr. Paul Grin
Good point. Thank you for sharing, Dr. Harry I. Aronowitz.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Ortho consult

Go back to the dentist who treated you or find another Orthodontist and go for a consultation.
They can then evaluate your specific situation and give you a general time frame for getting the teeth back in their proper place. Are you prepared to then wear the retainers when you didn't the first time? What has changed?

In brief: Ortho consult

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler

In brief: ~8 mos

Depends how much relapse has occured.
Once they are re-straightened you should be wearing a retainer EVERY night. Sometimes a permanent wire retainer can be placed so you don't have to take it in and out but cleaning is difficult with a permanent wire in place.

In brief: ~8 mos

Depends how much relapse has occured.
Dr. Thomas V. Dembski
Dr. Thomas V. Dembski
Dr. Adam Smith