Does breast cancer run in families?

It does in about 15% Hereditary breast cancer occurs approximately in about 15% of cases. Majority of breast cancer occurs sporadically.
Yes. Having a family history does increase your risk. Although the vast majority of women with breast cancer do not have a family history.
Yes. It is estimated that10-15% of all breast cancer cases in the US are hereditary. A simple blood test exists to see if someone has a genetic mutation responsible for many of these hereditary breast cancers. If someone has this mutation, they have as high as a 65% chance of getting breast ca in their lifetime. Their children have a 50:50 chance of inheriting this mutation.