Does boniva (ibandronate) and other drugs for osteoporosis really grow dead bone?

No. First, with osteoporosis, the bone i not dead it is only decreased in amount bone is living and has the ability to heal. People with osteoporosis will heal a fracture. Boniva (ibandronate) slows the rate of bone loss but does not stimulate the growth of new bone. However, since the body continues to make bone, the density usually goes up with Boniva (ibandronate) and similar meds. Few treatments have proven to make new bone.
NO. No, all bone that is formed is alive by definition. There is no such thing as dead bone.