Gout - can I take prednisone at the same time as I am taking allopurinol?

Dr. Angus Worthing
There is no reason not to take Prednisone at the same time as taking allopurinol.

Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
There is no problem taking the two drugs together. The Allopurinol should eventually control the gout attacks by lowering the serum uric acid to the point where attacks of gout are rare.

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Yes.
I rarely use Prednisone for any period for gouty arthritis attacks.
Sometimes i give steroids within the inflammed joints, which works faster, or give one shot im of steroids . I do use Colchicine almost always, but instead of using Colcrys (the only colchicne that can be sold-ridiculously priced, I use probenecid/colchicine-much cheaper and generic. I gradually start with 100mg Allopurinol & up.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Steven Seres