Could a pulled muscle or muscle spasm in the scalp cause a pain in the head?

Dr. Andrew Germanovich
Pain Management

Tension on Trapezius muscle is known to trigger headaches through upper cervical nerves via trigeminal-cervical reflex.

In brief: Yes it can

Scalp muscles are not typically thought of as "spasming" and I've never seen one actually activate in any of my patients but ANY muscle in the body can spasm and cause pain at that point (eg Charley Horse in the calf or hand pain with writer's cramp).
More importantly though is to distinguish between what I believe would be a RARE CASE of scalp muscle spasm and head pain from true headache.

In brief: Yes it can

Dr. Murray Grossan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Muscle pain

a pulled muscle, a swollen muscle, all can be painful or very painful.
Treatment: massage the muscle like a toothpaste squeeze in the direction of lymphatic flow – towards the heart. More on headaches at www.grossaninstitute.com

In brief: Muscle pain