What is the best antibiotic for a baby with a throat infection?

Penicillin. Most sore throats are caused by a virus and don't require antibiotics to fight the infection. Strep throat is one of the few sore throats that is treatable but is relatively uncommon in infants. Strep throat is usually very sensitive to penicillin and therefore is the drug of choice.
DEPENDS. Since most are viral & babies never get rheumatic fever there is marginal reason to ever treat them with anything. If a strep test verifies it is strep A, the simplest easy to use product is usually the best. Amoxicillin can be given 2X a day & will kill the germ.
Most are viral. and do not need antibiotics. Very rare for a child under 18 months to get strep. So babies usually do not need antibiotics for a sore throat.