What are some techniques for working with a 9 year old child with behavioral problems?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Structure/consistent
You don't indicate if this is new or longstanding, which is quite important.
If new, learning why it is happening it key and warrants an assessment. If it is longstanding but worse now because of age and size, a number of books might be a place to start. Ross greene has several related to the explosive child that are excellent. Keys are clarity, consistency, and structure with a positve tone.

In brief: Structure/consistent
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Behavior problems
Set limits, apply reward system based on compliance, guidelines should be clear & age-appropriate.

In brief: Behavior problems
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: See the pediatrician
First, if this is new behavior, see your child's pediatrician.
There could be a medical problem causing him to feel "off". Talk with your doctor about the behavior issues. She may refer your child to a therapist or other specialist. Remind your child that you love him, but that you don't like certain behavior.

In brief: See the pediatrician
Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Want to try a book?
Here is a book on kindle that will explain what you need to do.
It's called: "parenting the kids according to a child psychiatrist." it is only $5.95, takes less than two hours to read and will help right away.

In brief: Want to try a book?
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine
In brief: DIET
I have seen hudreds of kids with this problem. Sugar, pop, icecream and "junk" causes oxidative metabolism in brain to be rendered inefficient.
This causes nutrient defiiency, particuarly magnesium and vitamin b 1. It is not bad parenting and is not psychological. Stop all forms of sugar and read my blog "oxygen the spark of life" thatg you can google.

In brief: DIET
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Glen Elliott
While not opposed to dietary modifications as an approach, the available science simply does not support this perspective for the majority of children, especially at this age.
Dr. Shontae Buffington