Under what circumstances are ear tubes recommended for your child?

In brief: Controversial.
Most doctors agree that tubes may help prevent hearing loss from chronic or frequent ear infections.

In brief: Controversial.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. James Sidman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Hearing, infections
Hearing loss for about 12 weeks, or needing many antibiotics for infections are the main reasons to put in ear tubes.

In brief: Hearing, infections
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. James Sidman
In brief: Varies
I generally send kids for consultation when there is 5 or more infections per year or a continuous infection that won't clear within 90 days.
The ENT's may factor in other variables like severity of infection, time of year, etc.

In brief: Varies
Dr. Jonathan Jassey