My doctor tells me to take one baby aspirin per day with my high blood pressure. Can I take the adult aspirin instead?

Dr. Howard Rubin
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Aspirin

No advantage of taking regular as opposed to baby Aspirin in anti-platelet activity for primary prevention in men.

In brief: Aspirin

Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine

Daily Aspirin increases the risk of stomach bleeding, but reduces the risk of heart attacks in men and strokes in women.
It is recommended for those at risk for heart attacks or strokes, and at low risk for stomach problems. An adult Aspirin is fine, although a baby Aspirin (81 mg) seems just as effective, and may be safer. A good iphone resource for preventive measures is my health checklist 2012.

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Vikram Patel