Is Alzheimer's or dementia hereditary?

Dr. Joel Ross
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Yes to some degree

60% of all pts with Alzheimer's Disease have first degree relative (often a parent) that had AD.
There are genetic tests one called ApoE4 which can indicate you are low, medium or high risk in your life to develop this illness. I do not recommend such testing as there are no proven treatments that can slow or prevent Alzheimer's Disease from developing. Stay active mentally and physically!

In brief: Yes to some degree

Dr. Joel Ross
Dr. Joel Ross
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Yes and no

If there is an illness that runs in your family you should speak to your doctor about it.
There are many types of dementia. Some of them are genetically passed on while others aren't. The most common type of dementia is alzheimers disease and there are 2 forms. The early onset form is highly heritable. Alcoholic dementia is not inherited though a propensity for alcohol dependence can be.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash