Doctors prescribed vitamin D supplements to my newborn. Ever since, he has not been drinking the full 5 oz of milk he drunk before. Now its 3 or 4?

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Milk

As long as your child takes 24 ounces of milk per day I wouldn't be concerned.
Also you don't mention your child's age and if he is taking solids, in which case his milk intake would drop

In brief: Milk

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
3 comments
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Why the supplement? There must be a specific reason.
Dr. Mark Sibley
A study has linked vitamin D deficiency with an increased risk for cancer and autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis MS, and lupus. Researchers found, through mapping vitamin D receptors binding throughout the human genome, that vitamin D deficiency is a major environmental factor in increasing the risk of developing these disorders.
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Right Decision By MD

American Academy of Pediatrics recommends Vit D supplemet to al breast fed babies 400 iu per day beginning in the first few days of life According to cdc only 1in5 formula fed babies get enough vit D as recommended by American Academy Of Pediatrics.
Babies who drink 34oz of formula a day get enough vitD as recommended I agree with your Pediatrician for VitD Supplement as adviced to prevent Ricketts

In brief: Right Decision By MD

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Shalini Sethi

In brief: Vit D

newborn need 400 iu of vit D as Breast milk is deficient in it it needs to be supplemented.
Even as the child grows 600 to 800 iu is needed each day I.

In brief: Vit D

Dr. Shalini Sethi
Dr. Shalini Sethi
Dr. Jonathan Jassey