I was just wondering at how many weeks pregnancy does the typical woman find out the sex of the baby?

In brief: Depends on test
In the hands of an experienced technician using a sensitive ultrasound & with the cooperation of the baby, male parts can sometimes be detected at 10 wks.
I wouldn't paint the nursery pink based on a negative reading at that point.A brief ultrasound done to verify placental location & gestational size may not be adequate to provide the information.

In brief: Depends on test
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
In brief: 19 weeks
It is possible with a number of technologies to determine sex at an earlier time but typical is 18-20 weeks when a anatomy scan is routinely done for other indications.

In brief: 19 weeks
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. Jonathan Jassey