Can you catch rabies from a small cat scratch wound?

Dr. Tanya Russo

In brief: Rabies transmission

Per the Centers for Disease Control: The most common mode of rabies virus transmission is through the bite and virus-containing saliva of an infected host.
Though transmission has been rarely documented via other routes such as contamination of mucous membranes (i.e., eyes, nose, mouth), aerosol transmission, and corneal transplants.

In brief: Rabies transmission

Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Meital Barzideh

In brief: Highly unlikely

Cats are generally not carrieres of rabies.
If you have a kitten (under 1 year) I would be concerned about "catch scratch disease" If you starts to develop fever and inflamed lymph nodes along the arm that was scratched, I would seek medical attention. Otherwise, just wash the wound with soap and water and you should be fine.

In brief: Highly unlikely

Dr. Meital Barzideh
Dr. Meital Barzideh
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Very unlikely but...

Generally rabies is transmitted by bites, as the virus is present in the saliva of the animal.
However, it is possible that the cat might have licked its claws before scratching you, so it is possible to catch rabies from a cat scratch, though this would be very rare. A cat scratch is much more likely to transmit cat scratch fever, an infection caused by a bacteria called Bartonella henselae.

In brief: Very unlikely but...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Shontae Buffington