I been on celexa (citalopram) now for 10 yrs and I want to have another child. What is the best method of stopping celexa (citalopram)?

Dr. J. Kirk Clopton

In brief: Talk with MD

Celexa (citalopram) should be tapered off rather than abruptly stopped.
It is also important to wait a period of time once you are off the Celexa (citalopram) to make sure that depression does not return. Depression during pregnancy can have very negative effects on the developing child due to elevated cortisol that is seen in depression. You are also at higher risk for postpartum depression, so have close md monitoring.

In brief: Talk with MD

Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham