How many hours of sleep should a high school kid get per night?

In brief: Variable

Kids that are still growing or have heavy study schedules or both need a minimum of 9 hours.
Extra activities like sports can add to the requirement. After growth stops and schedule lessens, most can get by on 8. Memory difficulty, diminished academic or athletic performance or drowsy periods during the day suggest the need for more sleep.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Gregory Mosolf

In brief: 8 to 9 hours

Unfortunately many high school kids get a lot less than that.
They are still growing and need a lot of sleep. Good sleep habits are very important for good health. I see a lot of young people in my office with headaches and anxiety who probably just need more sleep.

In brief: 8 to 9 hours

Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Gregory Mosolf
Dr. Cindy Juster