What is the prognosis (chance of recovery) for multiple myeloma and other plasma cell cancer types?

Better than before. Most patients can now achieve remission either with standard therapy or stem cell transplant. The remissions can be long lived although patients are not cured. Many live a decade or more with good quality of life and this time line continues to get longer with the new targeted therapies. The average life span used to be 2.5 years.
Depends on Fx. The international staging system (iss) is useful for comparing across clinical trial but is of limited utility for helping treat an individual. Ref: greipp pr, san miguel j, durie bg, et al. (2005) jco stage (med overall survival (os)) 1 = 62 mon 2 = 45 mon 3 = 29 mon os improved since then (2005 published, looking at older data). Other fx: cytogenetics, fish, flc, mri, pet, renal, gep, etc.