How accurate are occult blood stool IA tests? I had 7 done, all negative, have anemia, I know its from food, not bleeding, doc still wants colonoscopy

Dr. Eric Chevlen
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Investigate iron def

If an adult has anemia DUE TO IRON DEFICIENCY, the cause is almost always blood loss.
In men and non-menstruating women, the blood loss is almost always from the gastrointestinal tract. If iron deficiency (not just anemia) has been well proven, and the patient does not menstruate, endoscopy is warranted no matter what the occult blood stool test shows.

In brief: Investigate iron def

Dr. Eric Chevlen
Dr. Eric Chevlen
Dr. Stephen Lloyd

In brief: Not very reliable

The occult blood tests will only show recent bleeding (few days).
If you are having intermittent bleeding, the tests may be normal. As stated, the important issue is whether you are truly Iron deficient.

In brief: Not very reliable

Dr. Stephen Lloyd
Dr. Stephen Lloyd
Dr. Andrea Brand