If I need treatment now, what are my options for multiple myeloma and how successful are they likely to be?

It depends... An international team has put together guidelines on when patients with myeloma should be treated. Your cancer doctor should be aware of them. There are many things now which can predict how well you will do with treatment and what type of treatment you should have. Patients live much longer with this disease than a decade ago..Some over 20 years making this a chronic illness in many ways.
It depends... Treatment options for mm are plentiful and are dependent on: patient characteristics (age, comorbidities -- diabetes, neuropathy, cv disease, etc), mm cytogenetics (risk), disease burden, etc. Treatment options need to be customized to the individual patient -- more so than in the past because of rapid developments in mm. That is good news.