Can a centipede sting be dangerous to a child? How can you tell the crawly thing is a centipede?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Rarely
Symptoms which are most likely to develop include: severe pain, which is usually in proportion to the size of the centipede;swelling and redness; swollen, painful lymph nodes in the regions of the bitten limb; headache;palpitations or a racing pulse;nausea and vomiting;anxiety;local itching and burning sensations.
..(.From wikipedia). Most centipedes stings are not life threatening.

In brief: Rarely
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Centipedes have lots of legs...more than a caterpillar. You can also use homeopathic ledum for the sting. I have had great success using an onion slice on insect bites. It neutralizes the toxins and reduces pain and swelling reactions. While a centipede is technically not an insect this will still work.
In brief: Dr Franz already
Gave a great response if you live in the us.
Your question sent me on a quest for info ; may have answered a life -long question i had. When i was nine years old in northern taiwan (petou), i picked up a slab rock ; found a humongous centipede. I always wondered if it was poisonous. (kind of like the cone shells i picked up at the beach). Well, i now believe it was a scolopendra multidens.>.

In brief: Dr Franz already
& they are in fact poisonous - carrying a hemolytic toxin. My possibly distorted childhood memory was that it was a foot long (I am now willing to concede that it may have been as small as 8 inches). None the less, in retrospect I'm glad I didn't pick it up with my hands. If you live in the Mediterranean, South America & Asia - there are poisonous species of Centipedes. Thanks for this question
Dr. Cindy Juster