Are there any type of over-the-counter remedies for getting an autistic child to go to sleep at night?

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Melatonin

Melatonin is the first otc that comes to mind.
Typically 3mg. There are forms of melatonin in an oral spray available online if the child can't do pills. I have also had parents report that an epsomsalt bath to soak in help them sleep.

In brief: Melatonin

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Yes, but...

Studies show that more children with autism have sleep problems--getting to sleep, staying asleep, and not waking to early--than do those without autism. Melatonin has some evidence of benefits with getting children with autism to sleep more readily.
Best techniques relate to routines: establish one and stick to it. Remember, chronic problem, so need something you can use over long time.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Jonathan Jassey