Do I need to begin treatment immediately or are you going to monitor my multiple myeloma for now? Why?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: It depends
Standard of care for mgus is observation.
Standard of care for smoldering/asymptomatic (no crab sx) mm is observation. Ecog e3a06 is evaluting Lenalidomide vs. Observation in smm. The reason to treat symptomatic mm include: improve survival, reduce bone fractures, reduce infections, improve blood counts, etc. The intensity and type of treatment are highly variable and actively evolving...

In brief: It depends
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
2 comments
Dr. Michael Thompson
ECOG E3A06 is still evaluting lenalidomide vs. observation in SMM. Studies in other countries have suggested a benefit of lenalidomide plus steroids combination in SMM. This has not yet changed the standard of care.
Dr. William A Biermann
I agree with the great answer. I am a little unsure of the reason for the question if you are 22. Is this about you or a loved one?
Dr. Binu Nair
In brief: Yes and no
Most myeloma needs treatment, but some are indolent means very slow growing without causing any damage to u, after a thorough check your oncologist will tell you if you need tretment or close follow up untill you have an indication.

In brief: Yes and no
Dr. Binu Nair
Dr. Binu Nair
Dr. Andrea Brand